Valuable Insight and Guidance
MFA provides a wide variety of services to private equity firms that invest in direct investments and fund-of-funds as well as venture capitalists providing start-up funding, growth funding and/or mezzanine financing to portfolio companies.
Our experience, along with our knowledge of accounting, auditing requirements and tax regulations, positions us well to address the needs of private equity and venture capital firms and their portfolio companies.
Delivering focused, value-added transaction advisory services begins with listening and understanding the needs of each client and tailoring the scope of our work to their specific circumstances. We concentrate on our clients’ strategic objectives, negotiation and savings opportunities, accounting and cash flow pitfalls, tax exposures and savings, optimal tax structures, and operational efficiencies in defining the services appropriate to each transaction. Because of the way our firm is engineered, our streamlined, accessible organizational structure allows us to mobilize quickly to service you – a refreshing change for our clients accustomed to often-unwieldy levels of hierarchy inherent in larger firms.
MFA’s proven transaction experience allows us to provide expert guidance and direction on a target’s business. Through our financial, tax and IT due diligence services, we identify both the risks and opportunities of a potential transaction. We also serve an important advisory role during the feasibility and negotiation stages and can help structure transactions to optimize tax and financial outcomes.
The Crucial Role of Thorough and Objective Valuations
Valuation has never been a more important or a more complex task than it is today. In an environment where accounting regulations have become more challenging, it is imperative that you work with a valuation professional that understands your business and can guide you through the complexities of the valuation process and ensure you understand the earnings, tax and strategic significance of your valuation analysis.
Through our affiliate, MFA Cornerstone Consulting, we can provide a wide range of valuation services that are critical to private equity firms and venture capitalists, including:
- Portfolio Valuation (ASC 820 – formerly FAS 157)
- Stock Option Valuation (IRC 409A/ASC 718 - formerly FAS 123R)
- Post-acquisition Purchase Price Allocation (ASC 805 - formerly FAS 141/142)
- Goodwill Impairment Testing (ASC 350 - formerly FAS 142)
- Testing for Long-lived Assets (ASC 360 - formerly FAS 144)
MFA Supports Your Portfolio Companies
MFA also represents many of the portfolio companies of private equity and venture capital firms. Each faces complex accounting matters, including revenue recognition, equity accounting, stock-based compensation, derivatives and other critical issues that evolve as they move through the various stages of development. At MFA, we understand the highly competitive marketplace they participate in and the unique challenges they encounter. We also understand the importance that you as an investor place on accurate and industry specific financial reporting and auditing.
Services We Provide
- Portfolio Valuation
- Formation and Tax Structuring
- Audit, Tax and Other Compliance Services
- Personal and Estate Tax Planning
- Compensation and Benefit Planning for Management Team
Transaction Advisory Services
- Integrated Acquisition Due Diligence, Including Financial, Tax and IT Diligence
- Tax Structuring for Acquisition and Post Acquisition Integration
- Purchase Agreement Support
- Valuation Services and Purchase Price Allocation
Portfolio Management & Compliance Services
- Audit and Assurance Services
- Tax Planning and Compliance Federal, State and Local Tax
- International Tax
- Transfer Pricing
- R&D Credits and Incentives
- Cost Segregation Studies
- ASC 740-10 (FAS 109 and FIN 48) Consultation
- Compensation and Benefits
- Valuation Services
- Fraud Prevention
- Litigation Support
- Initial Public Offering Support
- Structuring of Tax Efficient Exit Strategies for Investors and Management
- Sell-Side Advisory Services
- Reverse Due Diligence